Monday 23 April 2018

Mounting UFS HDD in Linux Mint

I haven't used FreeNAS in a while so I thought I would try and re-use some of the hard drives (HDD) assigned to this setup.

The problem is, the hard drive partitions are formatted using the UFS standard which Linux Mint cannot use. My computer with Linux Mint uses the EXT4 standard.

Thankfully there is a BASH work around, Linux will READ but cannot write to these drives. So here I used a HDD docking station -


Bash command:-

To find out the label of an external hard drive, open up a terminal, and use the following command

lsblk

Result (depends on what you already have connected)

NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 149.1G  0 disk
└─sda1   8:1    0 149.1G  0 part /
sdc      8:32   0  74.5G  0 disk
└─sdc1   8:33   0  74.5G  0 part
sr0     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom


from this I can see sdc as external drive
(normally linux is installed on sda)

Now we to mount the drive using the following command
 sudo mount -t ufs -o ro,ufstype=ufs2 /dev/sdc1 /mnt/
Now I can read/copy the files to another location before reformatting the drive with ext4 (or FAT32 for windows). Note pay special attention to the error that comes up on the monitor, this tells you the actual mount name you have to use, in this case it is sdc2. Last time I tried another HDD, itcame up as sdc1, all depends on how many usb devices you have connected at the time.

Hindsight ... I really need to rebuild a new NAS setup .. pref with an i5 intel processor and 4x 4TB HDD's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

USO Fresh Ride Eastbourne

Another enjoyable ride, I'm well used to going down this route. There are some places where the road doesn't allow a car and a cyc...