Wednesday 25 April 2018

Sunday Ride Whitemans Valley

All night it rained and Sunday morning it was a hit and miss whether to go out on a Cycle Ynui so we canceled it. Typically as the day progressed, the clouds disappear, the wind drops, so mid-day Iha and myself decided to ride into Wellington city. Invited a few people to come along at short notice so when we parked at the Woburn Railway Station we realized it was only going to be the 2 of us.

It was at this point I decided we should try Whitemans Valley, Upper Hutt. Neither of us have ever cycled over there and it is a favorite training route of my brother (who rides the Taupo Challenge). So we rode up to his place in Trentham and he gave us advice on which starting route to start out with.

Up and over Walliceville Hill, turn right at the intersection, straight on until we hit Blue Mountains Rd on the right, over the hill then into Pinehaven, Silverstream.


Really enjoyed this ride, somehow I need to work this into a regular routine, maybe do it once a month. Going up Walliceville Hill was a brilliant hill climb workout, not too steep but a good manageable distance I reckon USO Fresh could handle (possibly). Going down Blue Mountains Rd is a different matter LoL steep, long and windy. Feathering the breaks is a must and I doubt I would even attempt this if there was any sign of moisture on the road. Interesting enough, we saw a lot of cyclists going up this way, I know I'm not quite ready for that yet. Chances are the USO elite ride up here on a weekly basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

USO Fresh Ride Eastbourne

Another enjoyable ride, I'm well used to going down this route. There are some places where the road doesn't allow a car and a cyc...