Tuesday 19 June 2018

Installing Arduino IDE on Linux Mint 18.3


I have always had a problem installing this piece of software, you can download the archived file from here https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software


Once unarchived you need to run the ./install.sh in a terminal to create the desktop icon. Up to this point everything worked fine, until I plugged the USB cable from the computer to the Arduino board.

Loading up the example blink sketch, then sending it to the UNO resulted in an error message which unfortunately I cannot display because I have resolved the problem.

The problem was the UNO was not recognized on any port, so searching DuckGo I needed to find a BASH command that tells me what is connected to the usb ports. lsusb


which was actually pointless, all it told me was the UNO device
Bus 003 Device 006: ID 1a86:7523 QinHeng Electronics HL-340 USB-Serial adapter. I have no idea what to do with that information. So I played around with the Tools/Ports option in the IDE, choosing between /dev0/ttys4 try uploading, /dev/ttys0 try uploading again, same error. These were the only 2 options, until 5mins later, I looked again lo and behold a third option appeared,
/dev/ttyUSB. This has to be it, so tried uploading sketch again and bugger me a new error appeared LoL.



this time access denied. In fact this is something I remember from previous installations so back to DuckGo and find those BASH commands that allows me access.


sudo usermod -a -G dialout <your login name>

sudo chmod a+rw /dev/ttyUSB0


Not sure about the second line (didn't use it)  but all works perfectly now, so expect some Arduino Projects coming up very soon.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Dude... First Arduino arrived today. IDE wasn't uploading now it is... Used First line of code. Nothing doing. Then the second line of code and it actually uploaded.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

USO Fresh Ride Eastbourne

Another enjoyable ride, I'm well used to going down this route. There are some places where the road doesn't allow a car and a cyc...